Cleaning Your Humidifier Filter- An Easy But Important Task
There are different types of humidifier filters. If the filter you want to clean is made of paper, then you can only change it – throw it away and buy a new one. If the filter is plastic or another water-resistant material, you can clean it.
You will need some vinegar, some bleach, a bucket, a pair of rubber gloves, some towels, a bucket and some soft cloths.
1. Turn the humidifier off and unplug it.
2. Take off the tank that’s on top of the filter.
3. Place the tank on a clean towel, in the sink or in the tub, because they may drip some water.
4. Lift the filter out carefully.
5. Place it in the tub or in the sink. If they are both taken, use a bucket full of cool water.
6. Rinse the filter, and see if there are any mouldy or damaged areas.
7. If there is mould, pour out the water in the bucket and add one part of bleach and six parts of water instead.
8. Put the filter in the mixture and leave it for 10 minutes.
9. Take the filter out of the bucket and rinse it with cool water.
10. If there are mineral deposits, fill the bucket with two parts of water and one part of vinegar.
11. Let the filter soak in the vinegar water for about 20 minutes.
12. Take it out and rinse it with cool water.
13. Wipe the basin where the filter stands with a soft cloth. If there are any problems there, use some bleach or some vinegar to remove them.
14. Put the filter back in its place while it’s still damp.
15. Fill the tank and put it back on top of the filter.
16. Turn on the humidifier again.
If the filter isn’t plastic or you’re afraid that it won’t survive the chemicals, just rinse it and let it soak in clean water.
Look at the owner’s manual – there may be suggestions and guidelines on how to clean the filter there. If it’s different than the method here, follow the one provided by manufacturer.
To prevent mould and mineral deposit in the future, fill the tank with demineralised or distilled water, because tap water has mineral which can build up and feed bacteria.
If your filter looks bad even after you’ve cleaned it, and you’ve had it for a long time, maybe it’s time you changed it. Most of the filters aren’t designed for long periods of use.